If you have completed the steps for lab access, you may reserve instrument time here.
Note on liquid nitrogen and specialty gases: You will need to supply your own tanks for these gases. To have gas tanks shipped to the MCL, use this information:
420 Kelly Hall
325 Stanger St
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Location code: 123533
Building code: T493
Plan your tests to use most or all of the tank you ordered. The MCL is a shared facility with limited space, and while it will not be possible to reserve tanks for individual users, you will be alerted when your tank has arrived and have access to it before other users.
Once you are notified that your liquid nitrogen has arrived, reserve instrument time via the online reservation system. Please use your tank as soon as possible, and then promptly request its removal by the vendor to make the space available for other users.
TA Instruments TGA 5500
- IR furnace enables fast heating and cooling
- < 0.1 µg resolution
- Autosampler for high productivity
- Blending gas delivery module allows flexibility in mixing inert and reactive gases
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1200 °C
TA Instruments TGA 500
- For standard samples
- Samples analysis under inert gas or air
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1000 °C
Thermal Conductivity Fox 50
- Accurate, easy-to-use instrument for measuring thermal conductivity according to ASTM C518 and ISO 8301.
- Temperature range: -10 °C ̊C to 110 °C
- Thermal conductivity range: 0.1 to 10W/(mK) (0.633 to 60.3BTU in/hr ft2 °F)
- Thermal resistance range: 0.003 to 0.05 m2K/W
- Sample dimensions: Diameter 50 - 62 mm, Thickness 25 mm
Differential Scanning Calorimetry
TA Instruments DSC Q200
- Materials characterization (Glass transition, Curing, Heat capacity, QC)
- Temperature range: -90 - 550 °C
Dynamic Mechanical Analysis
TA Instruments DMA Q800
- Available deformation modes: Dual/single cantilever, 3-point bend, shear sandwich, compression, and film/fiber tension.
- Liquid nitrogen gas cooling accessory
- Temperature range: -145 - 1000 °C
TA Instruments TMA Q400
- Deformation modes: Expansion, Penetration, Tension
- CTE Measurements
- Temperature range: -90 - 1000°C
Wide Angle X-Ray Diffraction
Bruker XRD D8
- TWIN / TWIN optics, excellent peak-to-background ratio enhances sensitivity for minor phases.
- Bragg-Brentano for powders and parallel-beam geometry for coatings and thin films (amorphous, polycrystalline and epitaxial) under ambient conditions.
- DIFFRAC.SUITE software for Identification and quantification of crystalline and amorphous phases, indexing, ab-initio crystal structure determination, and crystal structure refinement.
- Grazing incidence diffraction.
- X-ray reflectometry.
Small Angle X-Ray Diffraction (SAX)
Bruker N8 Horizon
- 2-dimensional VÅNTEC-500TM detector detects even the weakest SAXS signals.
Excellent peak-to-background ratio enhances sensitivity from 0 to 5°
- Characterize the nanostructure of soft-matter and nanomaterials using transmission or grazing incidence mode.
- Particle size distribution (few nanometers to > 350 nm in diameter).
- Size and shape analysis of surfactants or proteins in solutions.
- Organization and orientation of nanomaterials at atomic/nanoscale, in bulk phases or at surfaces.
- Phase segregation studies .
Physical Properties Measurement
Quantum Design PPMS VersaLab
- Portable, cryogen-free cryocooler-based material characterization platform.
- Material characterization up to 3 Tesla.
- Vibrating sample magnetometer enables magnetic moment measurements as a function of temperature or magnetic field.
- Integrated VSM oven option with extended Temperature range: 50 - 1000 K.
- Integrated electron transport (ETO) for conductivity/resistance measurements using 2- and 4-probe configurations.
Solartron Modulab XM ECS Potentiostat
- Single-channel potentiostat for advanced electrochemical measurements.
- Option for photoelectrochemical measurements.
- Specially designed for electrochemical impedance spectroscopy.
- Compliance voltage of 30 V, a bandwidth of 1 MHz.
- Electrode connections (2, 3 and 4), Potential range (+/- 10 V), Max current +/- 2 A, Current ranges 1 A to 10 nA.
Solartron analytical 1252A Potentiostat
- Eight-channel potentiostat for concurrent measurements of electrochemical and photoelectrochemical properties.
Hitachi U4100 UV-VIS-NIR
- Integrated spheres for characterization of liquid and solid samples.
- High-sensitivity integrating sphere produces low-noise measurements.
- Range: 175 nm to 2600 nm.
Varian 670-IR with mid-IR integrated sphere
- For measuring reflectivity and collecting spectra of solids, analyzing light scattering and/or highly absorbing samples.
- Full spectral range, from UV (50,000 cm-1) to far-IR (10 cm-1)
- Mid-band MCT Detector (5000–650 cm-1).
- Spectral resolution less than 0.07 cm-1.
Gel permeation/size exclusion chromatography
Agilent PL-GPC 220
- Accommodates a variety of polymer, solvent, and temperature combinations.
- Full automation and advanced detection capabilities.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 220 °C.
Size exclusion chromatography
ACQUITY Advanced Polymer Chromatography System
- High-resolution separations in short run times.
- Multimodal detector module: refractive index, UV photodiode array, light scattering, and differential viscometry.
Atomic force microscopy
Bruker Dimension Icon AFM
- Nanoscale imaging and characterization with a tip-scanning AFM platform.
- Temperature-compensating position sensors reduce noise to the angstrom (X-Y axes) and sub-angstrom (Z axis) scales.
- Quantitative nanoscale data: Nanomechanical, PeakForce, Nanochemical, and Nanoelectrical characterization.
Oxford Jupiter XR AFM
- Operating Modes: Contact, Tapping, Nanomechanical, Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy (KPFM), Force Mapping, Conductive AFM (CAFM), Fast Force Mapping, Scanning Capacitance Microscopy (SCM).
- Operational conditions: Temp stage (-30 - 300 °C), liquid sample holder.
- Atomic resolution up to 0.45 nm.
- Sample size up to 200 mm.
Nikon Eclipse LV100
- Compact polarizing microscope
- Quintuple nosepiece with objectives up to 100x
XploRA PLUS Raman microscope
- Fully confocal Raman images
- Rapid imaging with excellent detection and sensitivity
Instron 3340 Universal Testing System
- Single-column system.
- Pneumatic side action grips and compression grips for tensile, static, and tension-tension cyclic tests for a wide range of materials.
- Ideal for tension and/or compression studies of materials where tests are less than 5 kN (1,100 lbf) load capacity.
Discover HR-30 with UV option
- Rheological data under the widest range of measurement conditions (stress-controlled, strain-controlled, or both) with gap position resolution of 0.02 µm.
- Peltier Plate option (-40 °C to 200 °C).
- Environmental Test Chamber (ETC) (up to 600 °C).
- UV curing accessories.
Micro Materials NanoTest Vantage
- Nanomechanical and nanotribological tests including nanoindentation (quasi-static and dynamic), nano-impact and fatigue, nano-scratch and wear, and nano-fretting.
- Allows testing in a variety of environments including reduced oxygen/purged conditions, under controlled humidity, and in fluid.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 850 °C.
Note: For reservation, and training contact Mac McCord (email@example.com). Instrument is located in 123 Norris Hall.
Surface area and porosity measurements
Micromeritics 3 Flex
- Surface characterization analyzer that provides high-resolution adsorption, desorption, and isotherms data.
- Mesopore and micropore analyses of materials such as metal oxides, composites, carbon, catalysts, zeolites.
CM 1600 Series Rapid Temp Lab Furnace
- Rapid heating and cooling
- Uniform temperature control.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1600 °C.
Thermo Scientific Lindberg Blue M box furnace
- Temperature range: 100 - 1200 °C
Temperature and Humidity Chamber
Espec BTL-433 Temperature & Humidity Chamber
- Humidity range: 10 - 95% relative humidity
- Temperature range: -20 - 180 °C.
Carver 4126 25-12-2H Manual Heated Press
- 25 tons of clamping force
Autodesk 3D printer
- Supported materials: Various resins.
- Print Speed: 18mm/hr.
- Build Volume: 2.5" x 1.5" x 5.2".