If you have completed the steps for lab access, you may reserve instrument time here.
Note on liquid nitrogen: You will need to bring your own liquid nitrogen tank. To have liquid nitrogen shipped to the MCL, use this information:
420 Kelly Hall
325 Stanger St
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Location code: 123533
Building code: T493
Plan your tests to use most or all of the tank you ordered. The MCL is a shared facility with limited space, and while it will not be possible to reserve tanks for individual users, you will be alerted when your tank has arrived and have access to it before other users.
Once you are notified that your liquid nitrogen has arrived, reserve instrument time via the online reservation system. Please use your tank as soon as possible, and then promptly request its removal by the vendor to make the space available for other users.
TA Instruments TGA 5500
- IR furnace enables fast heating and cooling
- < 0.1 µg resolution
- Autosampler for high productivity
- Blending gas delivery module allows flexibility in mixing inert and reactive gases
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1200 °C
TA Instruments TGA 500
- For standard samples
- Samples analysis under inert gas or air
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1000 °C
Differential Scanning Calorimetry
TA Instruments DSC Q200
- Materials characterization (Glass transition, Curing, Heat capacity, QC)
- Temperature range: -90 - 550 °C
Dynamic Mechanical Analysis
TA Instruments DMA Q800
- Available deformation modes: Dual/single cantilever, 3-point bend, shear sandwich, compression, and film/fiber tension.
- Liquid nitrogen gas cooling accessory
- Temperature range: -145 - 1000 °C
TA Instruments TMA Q400
- Deformation modes: Expansion, Penetration, Tension
- CTE Measurements
- Temperature range: -90 - 1000°C
Wide Angle X-Ray Diffraction
Bruker XRD D8
- Superb counting statistics for faster data collection, high throughput.
- Excellent peak-to-background ratio enhances sensitivity for minor phases.
Small Angle X-Ray Diffraction (SAX)
Bruker N8 Horizon
- 2-dimensional VÅNTEC-500TM detector detects even the weakest SAXS signals.
Excellent peak-to-background ratio enhances sensitivity from 0 to 5°
Physical Properties Measurement
Quantum Design PPMS VersaLab
- Portable, cryogen-free cryocooler-based material characterization platform.
- Material characterization up to 3 Tesla.
- Vibrating sample magnetometer enables magnetic moment measurements as a function of temperature or magnetic field.
- Integrated VSM oven option with extended Temperature range: 50 - 1000 K.
- Integrated electron transport (ETO) for conductivity/resistance measurements using 2- and 4-probe configurations.
Solartron Modulab XM ECS Potentiostat
- Single-channel potentiostat for advanced electrochemical measurements.
- Option for photoelectrochemical measurements.
Solartron analytical 1252A Potentiostat
- Eight-channel potentiostat for concurrent measurements of electrochemical and photoelectrochemical properties.
Hitachi U4100 UV-VIS-NIR
- Integrated spheres for characterization of liquid and solid samples.
- High-sensitivity integrating sphere produces low-noise measurements.
- Range: 175 nm to 2600 nm.
- Full spectral range, from UV (50,000 cm-1) to far-IR (10 cm-1)
- Spectral resolution less than 0.07 cm-1
Gel permeation/size exclusion chromatography
Agilent PL-GPC 220
- Accommodates a variety of polymer, solvent, and temperature combinations.
- Full automation and advanced detection capabilities.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 220 °C.
Size exclusion chromatography
ACQUITY Advanced Polymer Chromatography System
- High-resolution separations in short run times.
- Multimodal detector module: refractive index, UV photodiode array, light scattering, and differential viscometry.
Atomic force microscopy
Bruker Dimension Icon AFM
- Nanoscale imaging and characterization with a tip-scanning AFM platform.
- Temperature-compensating position sensors reduce noise to the angstrom (X-Y axes) and sub-angstrom (Z axis) scales.
- Quantitative nanoscale data: Nanomechanical, PeakForce, Nanochemical, and Nanoelectrical characterization.
Nikon Eclipse LV100
- Compact polarizing microscope
- Quintuple nosepiece with objectives up to 100x
XploRA PLUS Raman microscope
- Fully confocal Raman images
- Rapid imaging with excellent detection and sensitivity
Instron 3340 Universal Testing System
- Single-column system.
- Pneumatic side action grips and compression grips for tensile, static, and tension-tension cyclic tests for a wide range of materials.
- Ideal for tension and/or compression studies of materials where tests are less than 5 kN (1,100 lbf) load capacity.
Micro Materials NanoTest Vantage
- Nanomechanical and nanotribological tests including nanoindentation (quasi-static and dynamic), nano-impact and fatigue, nano-scratch and wear, and nano-fretting.
- Allows testing in a variety of environments including reduced oxygen/purged conditions, under controlled humidity, and in fluid.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 850 °C.
Surface area and porosity measurements
Micromeritics 3 Flex
- Surface characterization analyzer that provides high-resolution adsorption, desorption, and isotherms data.
- Mesopore and micropore analyses of materials such as metal oxides, composites, carbon, catalysts, zeolites.
CM 1600 Series Rapid Temp Lab Furnace
- Rapid heating and cooling
- Uniform temperature control.
- Temperature range: Ambient - 1600 °C.
Thermo Scientific Lindberg Blue M box furnace
- Temperature range: 100 - 1200 °C
Temperature and Humidity Chamber
Espec BTL-433 Temperature & Humidity Chamber
- Humidity range: 10 - 95% relative humidity
- Temperature range: -20 - 180 °C.
HMI MSP-485 Semi-Automatic Screen Printer
- Maximum substrate size: 8’’ x 8’’ (203mm x 203mm)
Carver 4126 25-12-2H Manual Heated Press
- 25 tons of clamping force
HYREL System 30M
- Specifications in X, Y, Z:
- 200 x 200 x 200mm (8 x 8 x 8″)
- 5 x 5 x 1 micron positional resolution
- 50 x 50 x 10 micron positional accuracy
- 25 x 25 x 5 micron positional repeatability
- Proprietary motion control.
- Print speeds up to 2000 mm/min.
Ideal for standard, multi-material, novel, and experimental printing.